Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

6/22/11

So what have I been up to?

I have had a dizzying 5 days.  My head is still spinning, and I am not yet caught up on sleep.  I am now in outside sales, and 'fast-paced' is an understatement.


As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I got about 5 hours of sleep before I was back on the road, and heading 250 miles away to start my new job.  I have been going almost non-stop since that morning, and am enjoying a few moments to breathe.


What do I do?  I sell pet food.  Serious business.


The first thing that made me laugh is how quickly my clean, empty car was filled to the gills.  Not only my suitcase, but my boss' as well (doing a ride-along training for the first week) as well as a crapton of samples, brochures, catalogs, etc.  I am happy to tell the world:  I have junk in my trunk.


Don't get me wrong.  I think the cache of stuff I have is pretty cool.  I have already utilized it in half a dozen pet stores, and heard amazing things.  Sometimes plopping down a big bag and saying "you have GOT to see this!" is just the best way of doing things.


Next was the travel.  I haven't been to every inch of Idaho yet, and that's going to change soon.  I have been into small cities with populations in the hundreds.  I have seen so many pick-up trucks in camouflage paint that my eyes are seeing 'shrubs on wheels' all over the place.  So many bluejeans, so much country music.  And here I am, in my bright red compact car, wearing slacks and a nice shirt.  

Some towns just blow your mind.  You drive into the main area, and I swear you can hear the banjo music kick in...


There's sticking out like a sore thumb, and then there's me.  But when I tell people who I am and what I do, they understand.


This job definitely has its advantages.  On day 1, we met with a few of the drivers and all went to dinner.  We found an amazing barbeque joint and ate like KINGS.  I'm not sure if my boss was just trying to 'wow' me on the first day, or if it was just a 'hey let's go here' moment.  Either way, I was in awe.


So here I am.  I have survived two days, and about to start day three.  SOOOO much blogging material is being plopped in my lap, since I'm seeing so much more of Idaho.   This is definitely going to be an adventure, and I think you're going to love the stories I share.


Cheers.  If you need me, I'll be on the road.
Please Share it! :)

16 witty retorts:

Al Penwasser said...

Your car was "filled to the gills"?
You're selling fish food?
BA DUM BUM
Plus, "blogging material is being plopped" into your lap? Are you letting the pets ride with you?
THANK YOU. I'M HERE TILL THURSDAY.
Seriously, congratulations. I'd like to score a gig like that.

Haven said...

Always room to appreciate some good junk in your trunk ;)

Lady Estrogen said...

Sounds interesting - can't wait to hear the stories!!

D4 said...

Oh you really know how to excite people don'tcha :D

Leanna said...

Travel stories are always the best. If you don't have a camera then you need to score one with and extra battery so you can do a "Show and Tell" ;P

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Sounds like a great job! Congratulations :) Can't wait to hear more about all them there shrubs on wheels ;)

Astronomy Pirate said...

You'll become an expert in Idahology.

Zombie said...

The pics are back up and running! :D

Kicking Rocks said...

at least you are seeing more of idaho!!

Aaron M. Gipson said...

I think it job where you are on pretty much a permanent road trip would be utter bliss. I love driving, and I can't think of a better way to get to know your new state.

I really miss good barbecue...

Bart said...

who do u sell pet food too? dogs? cats?

Technosauce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Technosauce said...

Pet food? Serious business indeed.

Ante Babaja said...

i will be on the road soon :D :D cant wait

The Frisky Virgin said...

Can't wait to read the road stories!!!

Loved the line about hearing a banjo the minute you drive into a town. lol Know exactly what you mean by that! lol

Q said...

Dude, I'm so behind on reading blogs. I have about 10 more of yours to check out. By now, I'm sure you're CEO of your company and have a house in Helena, Montana near Squatlo's mansion.

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!