Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

6/4/11

I won another blogging contest by simply showing up

You should congratulate me.  I just won the 2011 Blog of War contest over at BlackLOG.

Or maybe you should just snicker.  Once you read how the tournament went down, you'll understand why I'm not walking around singing "We are the Champions."

You see, I won the contest merely by showing up each round, following the instructions given, and sticking to deadlines.

Round 1 started on May 1st.  6 bloggers going head to head.  The first objective was to review a competitors blog.  My review (link) was posted on time, but 2 out of the 6 people were busy.  Or forgot.  Or something.

Where is everybody??
Those who actually remembered to post something moved to round 2.  So far, this competition was a bit of a laugh.

Round 2 was in mid May, and consisted of finding a small blog to feature, pimp, and get as many people as possible to follow via Google Friend Connect.  I picked my protege (link) and raised her follower count from 4 to 20.  Of the remaining contestants, one picked a blog that was impossible to follow via GFC, so there was no way to track results.  She was eliminated by default.

The last round was over Memorial Day weekend.  We were to submit a post to BlackLOG based on a theme of "Best of times / worst of times."  I did, the other finalist didn't.  Therefore, he was disqualified and I won.  If you would like to read my post, please click (link) and enjoy, so it doesn't completely go to waste.  :)

So yes, I won.  I have made it a point to enter as many blogging contests as I can.  This is my first year of blogging, and I see contests as a good way to not only hone my craft, but to get my name out there.  This contest probably didn't do either, but it was a fun experience.  I won, but I won by default.

Homer Simpson would be proud...
Please Share it! :)

21 witty retorts:

not displayed said...

Here in Australia, we call that "doing a Bradbury" after the Olympic gold medal winner Steven Bradbury who won the men's speed skating by simply not falling over. Ok there had to be some skill to get to the final race but when all the others fell over, he cruised to the finish

The Empress said...

Congratulations on your latest contest win. I'd never considered entering a contest in order to increase followers but then again I did pick up a few lovely new readers during Q's stunner contest. Happy Weekend!

BigMike said...

Hey just because your competition was not strong does not mean you didn't do good work!

themajessty said...

Congratulations!

themajessty said...

Congratulations!

Sharon Day said...

Obviously, you take instructions well and follow through which bodes well for your girlfriend. :-) Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey, a win is a win! It is great exposure and I think it is great that you have entered as many as you have. The way my life is going right now I'd be one of the people who got too busy or forgot...maybe when things calm down a bit (laughs) I'll give one a go.

Congrats again and may I say that I think it s AWESOME that one of the requirements for the blog contest was pimping somebody else's blog and getting them followers. love it.

JewelsTurning30

BlackLOG said...

Well done sir, Sorry if I didn't celebrate your victory as much as you deserved but the rate that people let me down was so impressive it left me keyboard struck. Thank you for seeing it through to the end much appreciated and I’ll see what I can do about sorting out a winners (or should that be completers) button.

D4 said...

It doesn't matter if they put up a fight or if they couldn't. The point really is simple; you were the last one standing, and so you were the best blogger.

That's how I see it, and in that sense, I'd feel proud. But that's just me and things.

Jon Hanson said...

Getting something simply for showing up.. hmm.. sounds like how I received my high school diploma.

Well, no thats not true, I didn't even show up all that often.

SD
The Simple Dude

Kunta Jay said...

Cool man.

Anonymous said...

Well done, I guess

Bart said...

lol what did u win?

RedHeadRob said...

Well? Congrats on the easy win my friend.

Merrell Michael said...

Ok, I gotta ask...how do you find blogging contests? Do you just run a google search and have at it? I would love to hook something up to add more page views, or followers. Hit me up!

123 said...

congratulations, i guess!!!

Melanie said...

yay you!

Kelly said...

Congrats on winning the blogging award. Wow. You're writing so quickly and furiously anymore, I can't keep up. I wish I could comment on the last dozen you've written in the last couple of days but, unfortunately, I only have time for the last two. :)

Metamorphiction said...

A win is still a win. Congrats!

Lendo Khar said...

You accomplished every task, and you were better than the other 5 so you deserve that victory. Congrats

Jimena said...

Hey, that's cool! And the previous posters are right. A win is a win :)
Congratulations!

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!