Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

6/5/11

Mommy, Look at the Penguins! (guest post)

Today's post is courtesy of Quincy from Thank, Q for Common Sense.  Direct all praise/anger to him, and feel free to visit his site!  This dude is worth following.  Trust me. 


First of all, thanks to Brandon for allowing me to use his page to rant.  I've had something on my mind for a minute and Idaho seemed like the perfect place to release my inner-most thoughts.  After all, I could show photos from a crime scene on this site and it won't be as bad as Brandon's amputee post...


"Mommy, look at the penguins!" is what I would imagine hearing from a child who is visiting the United States for the first time.  This imaginary child, from a foreign land, would not be referring to the frigid birds of the tundra, but instead... idiots and their sagging pants.




My mom and / or dad would have stapled my pants up to my nipples before they let me walk around sagging like a convict.  Yes, I said convict.  After all, that's where the trend allegedly got its start.

Prisoners were forbidden to wear belts in jail because some of them would use the belt to hang themselves.  As a result of being beltless, the pants they wore tended to sag.  This made it more difficult to commit suicide and it also made it more difficult to run when trying to escape custody.  It was also stated that the men wearing their pants "extra low" were some other prisoner's "bitch."  Some how in the 90's, this prison trend crept its way into hip hop culture and has now infected our kids.  I'm guessing because they're too stupid to research the origin of things.


Now, let me state this first: I have no problem with kids having trends.  I participated in some trends as a youth and I understand how cool it looks when you're young.  That's why you have to be a certain age to drink because youngsters are naturally stupid and can't tell "cool" from "fool" very easily.  What I don't understand is how something so flat-out laughable has become cool.  People used to moon other people as a joke, but now it's a fashion trend to see someone's butt.  No longer do you have to go to a strip club or call a plumber in order to see a butt crack.


Now Hanes sightings are a dime a dozen and the only sad thing about guys doing it is that women are liking it.  Any ladies care to explain to me how  a man who has to reach behind his knees for a wallet is "sexy?"  What is so appealing about a guy who has to drive with both feet because his pants are rolled up around his ankles?


Can anyone explain to me how pulling up your pants every three steps and walking like a penguin is cool?



If you were a prisoner, wouldn't this be more of an invitation that a fashion statement?



Please Share it! :)

24 witty retorts:

Pickleope said...

That last picture is ridiculous. I thought this trend would have died out with the 90's. Lament.

Kelly said...

I look at people wearing their shorts, underwear and/or pants this low in the hopes that I can see them fall or trip when they walk. It's really ridiculous. Great guest post.

Shutterbug said...

LOL! Great guest post! I knew that the saggy pants trend started in prisons, but this is the first time I've heard anyone call them "penguins". That is hilarious! Good one!

Anonymous said...

There is NOTHING attractive about seeing a guy's ass before you even know he name!

My hubby runs a night club and he refuses to let anyone wearing their pants like this into the club because it is considered "gangsta" in our parts.

It's disrespectful and asinine.

Great post!

The Angry Lurker said...

I agree with you sir, they need a foot in the ass.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up Quincy! I have never and will never understand the appeal of men that dress like that. I have, on drunken occasion, done one of two things to these boys...

1-I pull up their pants for them (probably higher than is comfortable!)

2-I straight up pants them and then giggle my ass off.

They look stupid and my actions can't possible make them look any worse. To date I've never been hit by one of these idiots because they can't catch me while holding up their pants...and their "boys" are no help because they are laughing their asses off. Morons.

I am happy to report that in my little corner of PA this trend is on its way out and rarely seen. :)

<a href="http://www.jewelsturning30.com/JewelsTurning30</a>

Sharon Day said...

Women hate it! Where's our John Travolta pants of the 70s when you could tell if a man was circumcised or not? We want to see a man's butt--in tight jeans, please.

Ally said...

when will this trend end? we were sporting this look back in the rave/ill communication days in like 1993/94 or something. come on now....

FourthGradeNothing.com

Julie Ferguson said...

Personally I hate the look. What is so cool about showing your undies and having your pants practically fall off?

Q said...

OMG! Autumnforest owes me a laptop because I spit water all over it when I read her comment! LOL! Brandon, thanks for the opportunity to guest post. You have a great site and I appreciate getting a chance to shine on it.

I agree w/Kelly and wish I could have found a video of one of them tripping. I've seen episodes of "Cops" of them trying to run with their pants down and it's hilarious!

MMW, your husband is right to not allow that in his club. Like I said, I have no problems with trends, but not when they're idiotic. Grow a mohawk, get an eyebrow pierced, or whatever, but keep your BVD's to yourself.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm glad that you enjoyed the post! Brandon is a tough act to follow.

Unknown said...

@Q: This was an awesome post. I grew up seeing this all the time, and it annoys me to no end. My girlfriend's mom (while drinking) mentioned she wants to pull down their pants every time she sees this.

Imagine a white woman in her mid-40's coming up to you with a smile on your face, and pantsing you. Wouldn't that be awesome to watch??

Chunky Mama said...

Yes this is ridiculous.
But what about all the GIRLS walking around with jeans so low-cut their plumber's crack is showing. Is this sexy to you fellas???

Q said...

Brandon, that would be worth the cost of bail to see her do that!

Chunky Mama, I can't say seeing a woman with a thong pulled up to her shoulder blades does much for me either. I think they call them "Whale Tails." I love to see a woman in thongs, but not when it looks like a wedgie. Some things are meant to be kept private. Then again, I'm 39 years old, so I'm light years away from the mindset of today's youth.

Handflapper said...

Maybe the appearance of having mastered the questionable skill of walking with their pants around their knees gives them some kind of "street cred"? It's ridiculous. My oldest, as white bread as any 23-year-old boy could be, occasionally does this and I give him the super sonic wedgie at every opportunity.

THUNDERCAT said...

I should be allowed to violently butt rape any man who decides to sag in front of me. ...Look at me, getting all horny just thinking about it ;)

GamerGanz said...

I agree, ever since in my youth I first saw and heard about this phenomenon I've been confounded by it.
Why? It's neither cool nor practical.

D4 said...

The comments are almost as good as the post. Almost.

I actually took part in the trend at one point, in the hip hop trend anyway. I had my crooked expensive g unit cap, baggy shirts and baggy pants, but I REFUSED to have my pants below my ass.

Tom Seahawk said...

Hahah, nice observations

Rebecca said...

love the new look

Everyday Life

Asty said...

pretty random, lol. nice post.

Bart said...

damn naggers... lol sorry, they were actually named the tiger bloods, and fuck they won, i got a point though.

Zombie said...

Thank goodness that is going out of style! lol.

123 said...

a lot of people do it here unfortunately, although less than a few years ago

Anonymous said...

I wish it would go out of style... Forgive that it was never in style. Gangsta wannabes just think its a good idea. Good post and thanks for saying what we were all thinking. I think its stupid and my boys will know better than doing that.

I agree that its no better to see a woman's thong hanging out or showing her coin slot. Neither is very sexy. What happened to the idea that clothes should fit?

-E

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!