Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

6/8/11

Summer ain't what it used to be...

It is now early June, and for the majority of the Northern Hemisphere, it means we are firmly planting ourselves into summer.  Time to fire up the grills, get out the frozen treats, and listen for the ice cream man coming down the street.

I currently have 90 cents in change.  I wonder what I could get with that?  If I'm lucky, maybe one of those Ninja Turtle ice cream bars with the gumball eyes...  oh wait, this isn't 1988.

I am used to Summer in southern California.  Down in SoCal, summer would typically run from March until early November.  You could expect temps in the 80's and beyond (like 117 beyond) for most of the year, and I loved it.  Yes, I'm a bit overweight.  Yes, I'm carrying around a little extra insulation.  But still... give me the sun, the heat, and the feelings of a true summer.

One thing I miss about California summers are the beaches.

I lived about 45 minutes away from Huntington Beach, and loved heading out to bake in the sand and surf.  Nothing beats the sound of waves crashing into the sand, the seagulls flying in the air, and the happy laughter from the droves of beachgoers.

I miss taking my two sons to the beach.  My older feared the waves but loved the sand and sun.  My younger loved going out into the ocean with daddy, and crashing into the waves.  I could listen to him go "Here comes... a little one!! ...KWASH...  Here comes... a BIG one!! ...KWASH..." for hours on end.

Being a red-blooded male, I also miss the eye candy.  Scores of women in bikinis.  Tan, toned, and everywhere.  When you grow up around this, you take it for granted.  Now that I am hundreds of miles from any ocean, I miss it.

(It took me long enough, but I now understand why Idaho men were so riled up last fall when a bikini bar opened up in town.  When you're cleavage-deprived, it plays games with your mind...)

Not only do I miss the beach, I miss summer in general.

This is a screenshot of current weather conditions in Eastern Idaho.  This last weekend had *one* good grill-worthy day.  Other than that, we haven't officially started summer.

June or not, 40's and 50's are not summer temperatures.  I want 80's.  90's.  I want to smell sunscreen on people.  I want to feel the a/c blowing in my car.  I want to see kids running through sprinklers in their lawns.

I want to be able to wash my car on Sunday, and not have 'surprise thunderstorms' pop up on Monday.

Can it be summer in Idaho now?  Please?
Please Share it! :)

51 witty retorts:

Sara Strand said...

I am absolutely with you. I'm from Florida originally (St. Pete, baby!) and so when I see people get excited for 60 degree weather in northern Wisconsin.. I get a little pissy. And the "beach" we have here is the beach of Lake Superior. And if you should know anything about Lake Superior is that the warmest that water will EVER get is about 42 degrees and that's at the very end of summer. A normal person can't swim in that, yet you see them doing it all the time. It's never hot enough to justify throwing yourself into cold water around here.

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm originally from Seattle, but grew up in Minnesota. We grilled year round. Just sayin.

Lady Estrogen said...

Ummm... let's feckin' switch, for real!!! My bitching is totally the opposite. lol

Pickleope said...

Feel your pain. You could always get one of those inflatable pools and put it in your garage or living room? Mold be damned!

Ally said...

Trust me man, I know how it feels to be transplanted into what feels like another universe. Growing up, I longed to live in Cali with all of my favorite stars so I envy you for having lived there. For me, once living in busy Manhattan and then with my husband in a small town in New Jersey and now a beach town in Florida ... Adjusting to change isn't easy. I'm sure your summer will come soon enough. Hang in there, kid.

Unknown said...

Shit. It's hot as balls here.

I wake up sweaty.

You can have all my summer, I'm tired of it already.

PorkStar said...

Why are you in Idaho by the way? I know the locals and people who are born there are usually there but, who moves to Idaho usually?

It's hot as shit in NYC too and 90 deg for the next two days. Finally it feels like summer.

Zombie said...

you arent missing much by the beaches. they have been colder than usual...

Unknown said...

The sea weed is always greener in somebody else's lake!

I gave overlord to the people I always read from and who were not already listed by the person who awarded me. Awards are silly anyway.

Not the Hero said...

No sympathy from me my friend. Born and raised in Canada. Spring fever is actually a thing here. It's when the girls start wearing skirts and tank tops. It gets the guys all hot and bothered. The only way I could see less skin on average is the move to a Muslim country.

elexerdelex said...

what a horrible time this must be! maybe you should move to the bahama's!! ;)

Julie Ferguson said...

We have had unusual weather this year here in AZ. We actually had a spring. Usually it is a couple of weeks sandwiched between winter and summer. Of course, many from other states feel that our winters are more like spring. They should be here in the summer (115 plus degree weather), but it's a "dry heat".

Random Girl said...

You actually gave me a reason to not complain about it being 95 here today. Rare for where I am, which is tundra for a good part of the year. But man, I was excited to break out the bikini and hit the pool....bring on the sunscreen and the fruity frozen drinks please! It will be back to tundra soon enough!

Jon Hanson said...

It was ridiculously hot here yesterday at 103 degrees. 103 degrees in Minnesota is seriously worse than the apocalypse.

We laugh when people in the south can't handle 2 inches of snow, but they could do the same thing for us when it gets above 100 degrees. We all literally melt.

SD
www.TheSimpleDude.com

duffboi said...

I usually prefer the cooler temps, but looking at ur temps, I am glad it feels like summer here in virginia!

Sharon Day said...

I promise not to complain about AZ heat. When I lived in Redondo Beach, I have to admit that the marine layer and the constant tempteratures varying all of 5 degrees year round drove me nuts. I wanted autumn! I wanted summer (the water was like 67) and I wanted to wear a coat now and then. Jeez! Having no seasons sucks too.

BOOTY SWEAT said...

It's as hot as the devil's chode where I am! I can't stand the heat for shit! I would sell my soul for some decent working air conditioning! Texas aka Shaq's sweaty balls after a championship game!

Bart said...

still the same to me ! except more drinking

Ana said...

i know that feeling. my parents always go to the beach on vacation, but for several years now, i don't go with them. and i never missed the beach. now I live on an island; that's when i realised how much i missed the ocean! it was like a part of me had returned. i also want permanent sun and warmth. it's always clouded here.

Ana said...

also that icecream looks like a bloody tampon ahaha

Anonymous said...

You aren't really going to let Pork bust your balls like that are you?

Unknown said...

@Pork: Moved to idaho by necessity, not by choice. California got too expensive, and couldn't afford to live there anymore. Girlfriend's family has been letting us stay rent free in a house while we rebuild.

Will I ever leave Idaho? Probably. But if I do, this blog will become a lot less interesting.

Xenototh said...

Cleavage deprivation syndrome, huh? That is serious! :D

squatlo said...

We're hovering around 95-98 degrees here in middle Tennessee, with a humidity level of (wait while I check my barometer...) yep, it reads, "Waterboard".

It's a lot like trying to function outdoors with a soaking wet washcloth covering your mouth and nose, only it's soaking in scalding hot water. And cicadas are swirling around in swarms that would make Moses balk.

We'd slap our mamas for some of that cool air you're sucking in up there in Idaho. Stop whining...

Chunky Mama said...

Sounds like you lived REALLY close to where I live now. I am not from here, but I've been here about 5 years and am in love with the SoCal sunshine.
I grew up in the Mid-West, and I could NEVER go back to the cold and gloom that sticks around until mid-July. I have no idea how you are doing it.

Tony Van Helsing said...

You should try being in Yorkshire, land of drizzle.

ed said...

summer sucks, seems to get hotter each year

D4 said...

You make me appreciate my beaches, man. Like really really. Thanks but, sorry for you. I know I'd miss it too.

Unknown said...

Actually most ice cream trucks that I have bought from still have those! I had a spiderman one but it melted in the car and fell off the stick...lol good times

Bunny Hill said...

From where I am, summer seem to get wetter, damn rain

i said...

I'm with you man. I moved south so I could see that thermometer break into the 90's during the summer!

Joe Clark said...

Don't you just loveo ur dreary Pacific Northwest?

Unknown said...

Yeah things got weird.
Was hot today and then it started raining really bad here.

bmx4130 said...

Ouch that's rough. It's been a long winter here in NY too.

Salted Plum said...

I am rather jealous of your cold weather. It is too hot and humid where I am.

TIMMYTHEROBOT said...

Summer aint what it used to be in CT either. I used to be able to leave my house and do stuff, now it's 98 and humid half the time and just unbearable outside

Apache said...

I'm still waiting for summer to start where I am. It hasn't been raining, but it hasn't been sunny either. Just depressing dull days.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I wasn't sure that I wanted to welcome the 105 that it got to here in PA today...but I'd take that over 40s and 50s ANYDAY! I do not envy you! I am so so sorry. I hope your girl realizes how much you love her...that is just not okay!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better this is not normal! We usually get at least the seventies by now. Yes it has happened that we have had snow on the fourth of July, but that is not normal. You unfortunately are in the middle of a weird unusually wet summer, such that it is..

-E

jerrod said...

I was just in LA a few weeks ago. Went down Pacific Coast Highway to a lot of the beaches. Best part of the trip.

Kicking Rocks said...

every year it gets even more hotter here and the hurricanes get stronger!

Astronomy Pirate said...

Sounds like you could use a good trip to the beach. I know I am excited about going to the Outer Banks in NC later this summer. Good luck with the rainy season.

The Empress said...

The beach and summer weather are great. If you get too homesick for the gorgeous beach scenery, head on over to Bouncin' Barb's blog today where you'll be reminded of those clueless people who wear swimming costumes they have no business being seen in public with. That should cure you for a few days.

paigefurr said...

I'd love to trade if only for a second! We're already hitting upper 90"s to !00's in Dallas and it's already brutal! We don't usually get this until August... Enjoy the cool weather... might come for a visit... JK!

ScottD said...

was 97 and humid here!

middle child said...

Being the loving person that I am.....I'LL TRADE YOU WEATHER!!!!!! In fact, I will even let you throw in a bit of snow. This loving message comes to you from Northern Illinos.

Unknown said...

I love karaoke. And I love it even more when I sing Disney Songs. You and I need to hit a karaoke bar my friend

Aesthetikos said...

God I love summer, everything about summer is good; long days, summer holiday, singlets... And the list goes on!

Skankin_Pete said...

You should move to Long Island, we're all never more than a 15 minute ride to the beach =)

Then again the taxes here are insane so maybe not =(

Skankin_Pete said...

You should move to Long Island, we're never more than a 15 minute ride from the beach =)

Then again taxes here are insane so maybe not =(

Kelly said...

Having basically the same weather as Idaho, since my state is only two states away from it, I feel your pain. I am used to shitty, unpredictable weather to a point. But these past couple of years, weather wise, have been so extreme.

I'm sure you miss California because of the eye candy and the beaches and the ability to do pretty much anything because the weather is perfect... but the threat of wildfires and earthquakes would bother me. I think every state has it's drawbacks.

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!