Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

9/3/11

Kill Cliff: A Sports Drink. A Recovery Drink. An Everything Drink.

(Note:  This is not a paid review, but I was given a case to sample for this post.  My opinions are my own, and if I hated the product, I'd still tell ya.)

I am writing about my new favorite energy drink.

Except, it's not an energy drink.... You see, it doesn't have the "energy" you find in a lot of energy drinks, but this product will pick you up, keep you sharp, and prime you for whatever life throws at you.

It's a new Sports Drink called Kill Cliff.  It was designed by a former Navy SEAL who was looking for a liquid form of ibuprofen.  Since there was nothing on the market, he made his own.  The result is an anti-inflammatory drink that is good for many purposes.

From an email sent to me:

Basically, Kill Cliff, is a anti inflammatory supporting beverage that tastes great an was designed to improve sports performance. It is getting very popular with Cross Fit athletes, as many top Cross Fit competitors are huge fans as well. We have all types of athletes who drink the beverage, from MLB baseball players, to UFC fighters and literally every other type of athlete, we even have a competitive eater who dunked her hotdogs in the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest on Coney Island this July 4th.

Interestingly, and not really intentionally, it turns out Kill Cliff is an amazing hangover recovery drink and a hangover preventer. Bars in Atlanta mix many types of cocktails with Kill Cliff, from Kill Cliff and Vodka, and Killeritas (a margarita made with Kill Cliff) to Kill Cliff and Makers Mark. Believe it or not one of the most popular mixers is with beer, and call it is called Manmosa (not kidding). Anyway, people swear it will prevent a hangover and I believe it generally cuts the repercussions of over imbibing the night before.


The most amusing thing about the product is the flavor.  Labeled "Tasty" on both the can and the case, it tastes like a lightly carbonated Blood Orange.  The drink is a little tart, and has that slightly-vitamin-heavy taste you'll find in most energy drinks.  It is sweetened (lightly) with Sucralose, and I'm not usually a fan of fake sugars.  The amounts used were so small I didn't sweat it.  Best of all, it didn't have that fake sugar aftertaste.  Tasty, as a descriptor works.  Really.  No, really.

Now, let's get down to its many uses:

  • Energy Drink - I'm a huge Rockstar fan, and before that I've dabbled in Red Bulls and Monsters.  I know my way around the jittery block.  Kill Cliff, however, doesn't give you the jitters.  You don't crash 2-3 hours after pounding it.  Instead, it takes you to a level of 'sharpness' and keeps you there.  Kill Cliff won't buzz you up, but it will hone your senses.
  • Sports Drink - As you know from a recent post, I'm back in the weight-loss arena.  I'm hitting the gym as often as I can, and Kill Cliff is keeping me going.  The anti-inflammatory agents in the drink help me recover quickly, and you don't have the feeling of your heart leaping out of your chest as you would with a traditional energy drink.  I down one KC about 30 minutes before my workout (while I'm stretching), hydrate with water during, and one KC about 30 minutes afterward.  It takes me longer to get to the 'winded' stage, and I can keep pushing when I would have normally quit.  Kill Cliff is now a firm part of my workout regimen, thanks to its endurance and recovery benefits.
  • Booze Mixer - If you've been to a bar in the last 5 years, you know what a Jager Bomb is.  Red Bull was great at marketing their product to bars as a "keep you dancing all night" drink.  Well, Kill Cliff can be used the same way.  Like the email above mentions, it actually lessens your hangover!  I had one bender using KC through the night, and one without.  The day after the KC night, I woke up refreshed and ready to go.  The day after the non-KC night, well, I blogged about it.  It was a great day, but I still felt like shit.  Go to Kill Cliff's "Drinks" section for a few ideas.  Since it tastes like a Blood Orange, I would recommend making your own screwdrivers.  Yum!

 For the label readers, there is a 2193mg Vitamin & Enzyme blend in each 12oz can, consisting of:

D-Glucuronolactate, Sodium Citrate, Ginger extract (root),
Caffiene, Green Tea Extract (90% EGCG), Inositol, Ginseng
Root Powder (Panax), Milk Thistle, Taurine, Bromelain, Lipase,
Amylase, Protease 4.5, Invertase, Beta-glucanase, Serrazimes

In other words, a lot of anti-inflammatory agents (Ginger, Milk Thistle, Bromelain), de-stressors (Taurine and Ginseng root), Circulatory aids (Green Tea, Inositol, small amounts of Caffiene) and Digestive aids (all the 'ase' ingredients and the Serrazimes).  Not a lot of energy-boosters, not a lot of heart-pounders, and not a lot of things that will make your body crash.

Honestly, I'm hooked.  So much so, I'm going to start selling the product.  The product comes in a 24pk case ($2 per can) and is shipped to you at no cost.  I'd recommend it to athletes, bar-owners looking for something unique to offer, and regular dudes just like me.  It really is an awesome drink.  For more information, go to the Kill Cliff Website (you can order from there as well).  Look for a button on my blog coming soon.


Please Share it! :)

11 witty retorts:

D4 said...

Well, I won't go out and buy a pack, however if I ever see one I'll definitely try it. It sounds.. good. Woah.

Al Penwasser said...

I'm going to have a few too many Bud Lites tomorrow. Does that count?

my day in a sentence said...

I drink a couple of those and my heart starts racing. -.-'

Tony Van Helsing said...

I don't drink energy drinks, if I need a boost before the gym I'll make a smoothie or drink a coffee. Energy drinks are for chavs.

Anonymous said...

I have never had a red bull or any other energy drink. I don't drink coffee and the strongest I go is caffienated tea or a coke (the caffiene helps my migraines). I'm a wimp like that but I just can't see how drinks like this can be remotely healthy...that is just me though.

Electric Addict said...

very interesting ill have to try some

Hayes said...

It's the most awesome liquid I've ever tasted!

8173547262 said...

It does not make your Heart race, Kill Cliff is a recovery drink. Think Gatorade without all the excess calories.

8173547262 said...

It does not make your Heart race, Kill Cliff is a recovery drink. Think Gatorade without all the excess calories.

8173547262 said...

It does not make your Heart race, Kill Cliff is a recovery drink. Think Gatorade without all the excess calories.

8173547262 said...

It does not make your Heart race, Kill Cliff is a recovery drink. Think Gatorade without all the excess calories.

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!