Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

8/1/11

Why I Use StumbleUpon (and why you should too...)

Do you stumble?

You should.

If you have a blog, a website, a business, or do any online marketing, stumbleupon is a fantastic way to not only drive traffic to you, but also show you amazing content related to your interests.

My user name is lostinidaho (yeah, original.  I know) and I use stumbleupon to not only promote my blog, but to also see what else is out there.  I have learned web design tips (see that slide show near the top?  It's a jquery slider I discovered whilst stumbling...), as well as found other bloggers and humorous sites.

It is a neat little research tool, and can become highly addictive.

From an optimization standpoint, stumbleupon also helps you build links back to your site, which is SEO gold.  Granted, you ideally want links from multiple sources, but SU is a great source to use.  Every time someone stumbles one of your pages (or you stumble yourself) you get linked.

Links add up.

And you get added to the SU directory in whatever category your pages get tagged in.  Talk about Sexuality?  There's a tag for that.  Hockey?  There's a tag for that.

When people stumble their interests, they can stumble into you.  If they like what they see, they 'like' you.  Like facebook, the more likes the better, and the higher up in the rankings you go.  All of this results in more traffic, fresh faces, and ultimately (if you produce good content) a higher popularity of your site.

As far as social media goes, I would consider stumbleupon one of the top four sites to use for increasing traffic (along with facebook, twitter (if applicable to your site) and youtube).  This handy dandy chart will show you some top social media sites along with their strengths and weaknesses.  Find out what works best for you, and use the corresponding sites.

*from cmo.com*  Click for full-size
As a blogger, if it has 3 or more green fields, I try to use it.  If you learn what to use and when, you'll be able to boost your site into internet immortality.

At least, that's the plan...


Edit:  My day in a sentence asked what kind of results I have seen thanks to stumbleupon.  Well, the proof is in the pudding.  Here is a screenshot of my all-time referral sites.  Yes, google is king, but stumbling works (moreso than twitter...)


Now click that happy 'S' below and stumble this post!  Make sure to follow me as well, so I can find you easily and stumble your posts as well!
Please Share it! :)

31 witty retorts:

Chris Phillips said...

No! I don't need another media site! I might as well get it over with.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Why have we never done this? This is a great tip. Gonna try it out!

melissa said...

Could always use more networking sites. Actual blog networking sites never hurt either. Bloglovin, etc.

Jon Hanson said...

I've been stumbling for quite some time (and not just while walking) and have seen the RESULTS on my blog. I am a big StumbleUpon pimp.

I'm going to stumble this post right now!

SD
www.TheSimpleDude.com

Julie Ferguson said...

Thanks, I am always looking for new ways to pimp my blog.

Drake Sigar said...

This is one of those things which is going to require a tiny amount of effort in my part isn't it? I hate that. :(

jillsmo said...

Okay, so, I read this post, I submitted my post from today to Stumble and within 30 minutes I'd had over 200 views. DAMN. How did that happen?? Good advice Brandon!!

JanandJill.com said...

I'm really glad you posted this because you've convinced me, I'd heard about this site but didn't understand what it did. I'm definitely going to be using this in the very near future. Thanks for the tips!

Dale :)

ChaCha said...

I could stumble for hours sometimes, without even realizing it!

Chess said...

I'm gonna check it out!

Magixx said...

thats pretty useful!
thanks 4 sharing

D4 said...

It's a neat site.. I never really got into it. but hey, why not? For the boring nights at least.

MRanthrope said...

moar traffic! moar!
I think I might check this out.

ClarkeJones said...

Could always use more traffic. Thanks for the info.

my day in a sentence said...

So, how much people do you think it got to check out your page?

Zombie said...

Been using social media sites for a while now and I must say that it does wonders! :)

klahanie said...

Hmmm...I keep getting emails from Stumbleupon to check out what they think I might be interested in. I have a Stumbleupon account, but keep forgetting about it. Maybe I will just go over and see what's happening..
Cheers and take care :)

This Guy said...

More the merrier!

Bart said...

where is the referral link!?

Bart said...

did i post something here yet?

ElliotGreen said...

Stumbleupon is the absolute best! I always use it when I'm bored and end up finding something super interesting on the internet.

LoneIslander said...

I never had any real luck with Stumble. Guess I'm just not cool enough yet.

BlackLOG said...

I'm kind of in the, hardly have enough time to blog (and visit blogs I like) yet alone anything else camp and the thought of going onto yet another site leaves me a dribbling wreck in fear of overload…

not displayed said...

Been on Stumble for long time. Perhaps I am not doing it right because it really hasnt had much impact. Mind, I'm not in it to get famous. Too lazy for all that self pimping

squatlo said...

I'd love to pick your brain on using this site for marketing my nature photography, Brandon. I've got some quality work no one sees or buys. Shoot me an email if you know how to make my profile on Stumble jump.
I'm currently listed as "netless" if you're looking.

Josie said...

I just put stumbleupon on my blog like 2 weeks ago, but no one has clicked it yet........*wink*.

mentaltrafficjam.blogspot.com

Q said...

B, this is great! I never knew the value of SU nor any other social media to be honest. I joined FB and Twitter for obvious reasons, but didn't realize how much SU or Digg could benefit traffic to my blog and radio show. I'm going to give this a try and see what happens!

the Tsaritsa said...

StumbleUpon is great! I got a lot of traffic on one day from someone stumbling one of my street art photo posts. Awesome stuff. I'm adding you as a friend on SU, just in case you ever wanna stumble my posts :)

Clueless Dolphin said...

SU is awesome :D using one on my blog too!

The Frisky Virgin said...

Wow. This is a huge tip! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm on stumble, but for some reason they don't allow me to add my pages. Either that, or I hit Dumbleupon on accident.

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!