Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

1/5/13

Brandon's Baked Enchiladas con Sabor

I may be as white as they get, but I grew up in the ghetto.  I was one of the very few white kids on my block, so I spent a lot of time with my Hispanic friends, learning to swear in Spanish.

I was also surrounded by good food.  Mexican mamis that knew how to cook.  Because of this, Mexican food is still one of my favorites.

And since I'm a white boy (wexican?) I add my own huero twist to it all.

I wanted to make enchiladas and wasn't happy with the recipes I found online.  I was also feeling a little lazy, so I wanted it simple.  I ended up winging it, and it was awesome.  Here is the recipe, for those who would like to try to duplicate it...

Brandon's Baked Beef Enchiladas con Sabor

You will need:

2 lb ground beef (or 1lb beef and 1 can of black beans, depending on your mood)
1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
8 tortillas (I get the 'whole grain' ones because my girlfriend is 'one of THOSE' people...)
1 lg (19oz) can of red enchilada sauce
1lb shredded cheese (I use the 'Mexican Blend' kind)
1tsp Onion powder
1 clove fresh garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
Pepper to taste (I use Cajun's Choice creole seasoning as my 'pepper blend' mix.  IT IS AWESOME and works with nearly everything)
1Tsp (tablespoon) Bufalo Chipotle Sauce

BOOOF-alo, not BUFF-alo.
The chipotle sauce is the 'con sabor' in this recipe.  It has all the smoky chipotle flavor without the heat.  You'll get enough heat from the red sauce and pepper blend.  One tablespoon will also give you a good presence without being overwhelmed by OMGCHIPOTLE flavor.

Directions (20-ish minutes of prep):

- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, over med-high heat.  DO NOT DRAIN.

- Add beans (if using beans), tomatoes, 1/3 of the can of red sauce, garlic and spices to the mix.  Bring to a bubble, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

- Heat the oven to 350 degrees (175 celcius)

- While simmering, take a casserole dish and line the bottom with tortillas (it took me 3 tortillas in the middle, and I ripped up a 4th to cover holes.  Sprinkle a little bit of the cheese on the bottom.

- Dump the beefy mix into the casserole dish, another sprinkling of cheese, then layer tortillas (another 3+1) on top of the mixture.  Dump the rest of the red sauce on top, spreading it to cover the tortillas.  Use the rest of the cheese on top of that (yes, all of it).

- Cover in foil (poke some holes in it) and bake for 20-30 minutes.  Serve with cerveza. 

It's part enchilada, part lasagna (with the layers) and part casserole.  It feeds 8-10, and is fan-fucking-tastic.

It was a huge hit.  I highly recommend it.  It screams 'white boy' to anyone that knows authentic mexican food, but will still please the palate.
Please Share it! :)

0 witty retorts:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!