Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

10/16/13

Why I'm OK with Fat-Shaming

Have you seen this video, or the image they're talking about?


A trainer posted a picture with the headline "what's your excuse" a year ago, and now people are getting butthurt about it.  Calling her a bully.  Accusing her of fat-shaming.

You know what?  I'm ok with it.

I'm overweight.  And I can fix it, but here we are.  I work anywhere between 6 and 16 hours a day, and could easily use the excuse "I don't have time" but you know what?  I do.

I screw around on Facebook - I have my personal account, my blog's page, and I do content creation for a friend's page as well.

My wife and I like to play online games together.  We spend maybe 4-5 hours a week playing MMOs.

I take my dog to the dog park, and sit around and chat with other dog owners for an hour at a time.  That could be jogging/biking with my dog, or I could chase her around.  Instead, we sit and gab.

And, of course, my life on the road as a salesman.  I don't have to hit the drive-thru as often as I do, but it's quick and convenient for me.  If I slowed down and made better options, I wouldn't be in the predicament I am.

So what's the problem?  She's a mother of 3 and has her children in the picture, so it must be targeting lazy moms, right?  I dunno, I see that as a crutch.

My wife and I are considering having a baby.  Her first, my third.  If she needs mommy time to work out, take a walk, etc, I'm going to give it to her.

I know how to cook.  If she's tired, I'll make dinner.  We don't have to rely on a fast-food crutch.

My favorite part of the video above?  Everyone starts making excuses about this lady's 'advantages' except for Matt Lauer.  I can point out the gender lines that coincide with the argument, but I think that would be painting with some broad brush-strokes.

I'm fat.  I like her message.  It made me think for a second, and reflect on my decisions.  In that aspect, it worked.  Am I shamed?  Is she a bully?  No.

She's right.

What IS my excuse?

And, if you're overweight and in a position to remedy that, what is YOUR excuse?
Please Share it! :)

0 witty retorts:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!