Ads 468x60px

Subscribe:

5/28/13

Some Stereotypes Are True

You know whenever says the phrase "I'm not racist, but..." they're going to follow up with something a little racist, right?

Well, this is no different.  Just bear with me on this one, mmmk?

I grew up as one of the only white boys on my block.  Rubidoux, California.  aka, The Barrio.

By 6, I knew all the curse words in spanish.  It was great.

As I grew up, I learned that almost all of my neighbors were gardeners or landscapers.  It wasn't until I was in my 20's before I learned 'Mexican Landscaper' was a stereotype... growing up, I thought it was fairly accurate...

Fast forward to today.  I moved recently, and one of my neighbors is 'of latin descent.'  He is a landscaper.  The stereotype lives on...

However, the conversation got started when I was putting Weed & Feed on my lawn.  I was using a brand I sell, which isn't in a lot of retail stores around here.  When he told me he works as a landscaper, I instantly questioned why his lawn looked so horrible.

His backyard looks like a dandelion forest...

His answer was simple.  "I do it all day for a living.  You can understand why I don't want to come home and do it some more..."

I get that.  I really do.  Maybe if I were in his shoes I'd feel the same way.  (But not if I were a gynecologist... talk about 'kid in a candy store' mentality...)

But when I mentioned this on my facebook feed, a lot of people chimed in.  Mechanics keep their machines in perfect condition.  Landscapers have the best lawns on the block...  Maybe he's the exception, and not the rule?

Or maybe there's another stereotype in play...  I'm not racist, but...
Please Share it! :)

0 witty retorts:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Sometimes they end up being better than the initial post! Come join in on the fun... (and remember, you can post anonymously)

And if you like the post, feel free to share! Stumble, Digg, Tweet, go bananas!